I was really fortunate to have a beautiful natural birth with Mila. After an unpredictable pregnancy it was amazing to know I was strong and it felt great to be in control of how she entered the world. We were blessed with an incredible doula and Jake was a wonderful birth partner. My labor was only 6 hours from first contraction to Mila’s birth which is on the shorter side for a first pregnancy (this is probably because I had preterm contractions consistently from 31 weeks on).
I have been looking forward to another natural birth with this guy, but he seems to have different plans for us. In fact, he seems to have been in charge this whole pregnancy. I’m so curious to find out if that holds true in his personality once he makes his actual appearance in the world!
Mila was head down the entire pregnancy. In fact, they couldn’t even do accurate measurements of her head because she was so far down in my pelvis! This guy has been persistently breech. He has never once been head down on any of my ultrasounds (and because of my medical issues I have had ultrasounds at every visit this entire pregnancy, now twice per week!). Also, I can see his head when I look at my belly so I know which direction he is.
We attempted a ECV (External Cephalic Version) this week where they gave me medicine to relax the uterus and then three ob’s actually manipulated him to move to a head down position. It was painful but definitely not unbearable and nothing compared to actually giving birth. They were able to turn him three times, but then he immediately proceeded to turn head up again. His heart rate dropped each time after they turned him head down as well (but it recovered pretty quickly).
So, now I’m convinced that there is a reason he isn’t head down. It’s not that he doesn’t know he can go that way, he just chooses not to.
I would really like to avoid a c-section because of the medications I am taking for my lupus. The high dose, long term steroids interfere with wound healing, the immunosuppressants make me more susceptible to infections, and the aspirin makes me more likely to bleed during the operation.
I’m still hoping that he will decide to change his mind and go head down before his big arrival, but I think I need to start accepting the fact that this may not be how he enters the world. And that’s ok.
I have a c-section scheduled for 39 weeks although it’s not likely he will actually incubate that long (although fingers crossed, who knows what he actually has planned?!). We will have a more emergent c-section if I go into real labor or my water breaks before then.
I’m still incubating and trying my hardest to rest. It’s horrible to have the nesting instinct and not be able to act on it…. I’m 36 weeks now!