5 Jun 2012
Before I started sewing the Retro Flowers pattern I had watched a video on You Tube about using the “curve master presser foot” for my sewing machine. Gosh, it looked really easy. See for yourself:
Well, it didn’t quite work like that for me.
(I bought my foot here on amazon)
First of all, when I put the foot on my machine and then started to sew, my needle immediately broke because it went straight into the foot. So, I had to move the needle position over to the left (2 clicks on my machine to 2.5– 3.5 is my center position).
Then, I realized that it totally matters which piece of fabric is on the bottom when you are sewing the two pieces together. If you look at the template below you have a “U” shaped piece of fabric and a “fat” curve piece of fabric:
You need to have the “U” shaped piece on the bottom and the “fat” curve piece on top.
And then it took me even longer to figure out that you have to put some decent tension (in addition to holding the piece up) on the “fat” curve piece when you are sewing the two together.
After a lot of trial and error, it wasn’t so hard anymore. I have finished sewing all the curved pieces together and am now assembling my flower blocks. I think I have about 30 to go.
In the future, I think I would cut out some spare pieces that I could trash because I seemed to botch about three pieces each time I started piecing (before I got the hang of it again). Which means a lot of time seam ripping.
I’m thinking I’m really going to like this quilt.